How do I integrate First News in my school?
First News is most effective in schools when it is integrated into lessons. The NLT research has shown that using First News in guided reading can ‘significantly improve’ reading.
Our best practice guidance is to use First News in two reading slots each week:
- Reading for pleasure and information to find out what’s going on in the world
- Or, with the News Quiz Activity to find and identify topical facts and information.
- Use a range of reading skills to investigate and understand a news report in depth
- Structured questions provide support
- Develop knowledge, ideas, opinions and vocabulary