The trusted newspaper to inspire young minds
A newspaper written especially for children with 2.6 million readers every week, First News delivers striking global headlines to get 7-14 year olds reading, thinking and talking. While growing each pupil’s global awareness and boosting their reading attitudes and skills, the newspaper offers a wealth of cross-curricular benefits throughout whole schools.
Published every Friday, the newspaper is the ideal complement for English literacy, PSHE and Citizenship classes in Key Stages 2 and 3, as well as topical assemblies, libraries, newspaper and debate clubs.
Choose unlimited digital access for every pupil and all teachers in your school, or select as many print copies as you need each week.
Engage the next generation
- Factual, non-sensationalised and impartial news from around the world
- A rich variety of news to appeal to every reader, including world events, politics, entertainment, sports and science
- A healthy balance between positive stories and hard-hitting news
- Demystifying complex global issues with reassuring context
- Fostering a culture of reading for pleasure
- Helps schools create communities of active, global citizens
“The debating and poll elements of the newspaper are fantastic and support our whole-school focus on developing oracy superbly. And what we see is our young people at their best, discussing current issues that matter to them in thoughtful, articulate ways.”
St Michael’s Catholic School, UK
- School-wide access, for every pupil
- Enjoy a vast collection of previous editions
- Download whole editions or pages as PDFs for your online classroom
- Search all editions for topical stories
- Create article clippings, perfect for news and debate clubs
- Read on computers and tablets (iOS and Android)
- Includes 12 extra issues in the year compared to print editions
- International Edition available for schools outside of the UK who are looking for a more global focus
- Arriving to your school every week during term time
- Choose the number of copies to best suit your needs
- Great for school libraries or to support your digital subscription
“First News inspired me to want to become a journalist. I love working on Portway Post [the school newspaper]!”
Y6 Pupil, Portway Primary School, UK
“First News allows us time to explore news from the UK and around the world and to come back to things as they change and develop over time. It helps support our Literacy and PSHE curriculum and gives ideas and resources to use for debates. The children enjoy reading and sharing the articles and ideas with each other.”
Heron Way Primary School, UK
Outside the UK? We’ve got you covered
The First News International edition is created specifically for schools who are looking for a more global coverage in their news-based learning. This makes it perfect for improving English language skills, growing overall literacy levels or just getting your pupils talking and writing about news.
Join thousands of teachers in over 50 countries around the world who are using First News in class.
“Transmission of culture, as reading articles in English has boosted the confidence of the pupils, while simultaneously enabling them to have a deeper understanding of modern British culture.”
St Jean Hulst, France
“First News was a fabulous addition to our remote learning as it provided such a huge library of articles and past editions for our children to explore.”
St Christopher’s School, Bahrain
Dive in deeper
Why not pair your news subscription with engaging lesson resources for each week’s issue? Try pre-prepared reading activities based on the latest articles in First News, with Engage and Engage Printables.